Monday, June 18, 2007

Labor and Delivery

Lane and I got the tour of Labor and Delivery a few months early....

Yesterday afternoon I went the the grocery store. Lane helped me carry the groceries in and I started putting them away. After I had everything where I wanted it, I started feeling extremely dizzy. I sat down on the couch and my vision was extremely blurry in my right eye. I thought maybe my blood sugar was low since I hadn't eaten anything since 11:00 am and it was now 5:00 pm. I ate a banana and a few apple slices with peanut butter and I still didn't feel better. Not wanting to be the "paranoid pregnant lady", I called my mom to see if she thought it sounded seriously enough for me to page the on call doctor. I ended up paging the doctor and she called back within 2 minutes. I explained to her the symptoms, she asked if I was home alone and I said no. She then said I needed to get to the hospital! When we were about half way to the hospital, my right hand started going numb.... then it moved into my arm. We made it up to labor and delivery and I couldn't feel my right hand, right arm, right side of my face or my tongue. When I couldn't write my name or remember my social security number, I started to get a little scared.

They had a room ready for me, so I put on the pretty gown, peed in a bucket thing they had on the toilet, then got into bed to wait for the nurse to come in. She hooked me up to a contraction monitor, a fetal monitor, and a blood pressure cuff that would take my BP at regular intervals. Mom and Dad got to the room after all the prep work was done.

The nurse was AMAZING! So laid back and just a nice person! My regular OB wasn't on call, but the doctor for her practice that was there was fantastic as well! They drew blood and then we just had to wait for the lab to run all the tests. They said prior to the blood draw that my BP looked fine, she was moving great, and I wasn't having any contractions! The reason we had to wait so long to get the test results back was because my doctor was delivering a baby next door!!!! The mom screamed 1 time and then all you heard was this little cry. I hope I'm that lucky.

The blood work came back normal, but the doctor wanted me to stay home today to rest and get really hydrated. I've been instructed to do kick counts - making sure she kicks at least 10 times in 2 hours. What a way to spend my birthday!!! Oh well, as long as Baby C is healthy, it's ok with me. I'm still feeling some dizziness, but it's not nearly as bad as yesterday. I still have my regular appointment on Thursday - I have my 1 hour glucose test! We'll keep you posted with any other developments!

1 comment:

Carole said...

Courtney! You need to eat! and often! I'm so sorry. Hope you continue to feel better. Happy Bday!